Another sweet treat for my parents out there and any one who loves a good cinnamon roll! I did a vegan version of this because I cut dairy out of my kid’s diet, however feel free to substitute the almond milk for whole milk and the vegan butter for regular or grass-fed butter.
**If you don’t want to make the dough yourself you can always buy it pre-bought!
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used Almond Breeze “Hint of Honey Vanilla”)
- 1 can of Poppy Seed pastry filling
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup of cocoa powder (optional if you want the rolls to be chocolate)
- In a large sauce pan, heat the almond milk and 3 Tbsp of vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool until warm.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go (add cocoa powder as well if you are going the chocolate route). The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter and top with 1-2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
- Next apply the poppy-seed filling (I used a spatula to help spread the mixture over the dough)
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and with a serrated knife cut the dough into 2 inch sections and position in a well-greased pan .
- Brush with remaining 2 of vegan butter (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
- For the glaze I just used the almond milk plus confectioners sugar.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker